The research work that Goodman has done has been concerned with a wide variety of statistical problems, and also with the development of a wide variety of statistical methods for the analysis of data that are of interest in the social and behavioral sciences. He has published approximately 150 articles and four books. His more recent research has been focused mainly on the further development of statistical methods that bring the same kind of rigor to the analysis of qualitative/categorical data that has been available in the analysis of quantitative data.
Selected Publications and Papers
Published Articles and Chapters
- 2007 "Statistical Magic and/or Statistical Serendipity: An Age of Progress in the Analysis of Categorical Data," Annual Review of Sociology, Vol. 33, pp 1–19. This article is the leading article in this Annual Review.
- 2007 "On the Assignment of Individuals to Latent Classes," Sociological Methodology, edited by Yu Xie. Boston, MA: Blackwell Publishing. Volume 37, pp. 1-22. This article is the leading article in this volume.
- 2007 "Otis Dudley Duncan, Quantitative Sociologist Par Excellence: Path Analysis, Loglinear Methods, and Rasch Models," Social Stratification and Mobility, Vol. 25, pp. 129–139.
- 2007 "Working with Bill Kruskal: From 1950 Onward," Statistical Science, Vol. 22, pp. 269-272.
- 2002 "Latent Class Analysis: The Empirical Study of Latent Types, Latent Variables, and Latent Structures," Applied Latent Class Analysis, edited by Jacques A. Hagenaars and Allan L. McCutcheon, pp. 3–55, Cambridge, England: Cambridge University Press. This article is the leading article in this book.
- 2002 "How to analyze survey data pertaining to The Time Bind, and how not to analyze such data," Social Science Quarterly, Vol. 83 , p. 925.
- 2002 "Contributions to the statistical analysis of contingency tables: Notes on quasi-symmetry, quasiindependence, log-linear models, log-bilinear models, and correspondence analysis models," Annales de la Faculté des Sciences de l’Université de Toulouse, Mathématiques, Vol. 11, p. 525.
- 2001 "Statistical methods and graphical displays for analyzing how the association between two qualitative variables differs among countries, among groups, or over time. Part II: Some exploratory techniques, simple models, and simple examples," (with Michael Hout), Sociological Methodology, Vol. 31 (2001), edited by Michael E. Sobel and Mark P. Becker, Cambridge, Mass.: Blackwell Publishers. Washington, D.C.: American Sociological Association, p. 189.
- 2000 "The analysis of cross-classified data: Notes on a century of progress in contingency table analysis, and some comments on its prehistory and its future," Statistics for the Twenty-First Century, edited by C.R. Rao and Gabor J. Szekely, New York: Marcel Dekker, Inc., 2000, p. 189.
- 1998 "Statistical methods and graphical displays for analyzing how the association between two qualitative variables differs among countries, among groups, or over time: A modified regressiontype approach" (with Michael Hout), with Discussion, Sociological Methodology, Vol. 28 (1998), edited by Adrian E. Raftery, Cambridge, Massachusetts: Blackwell Publishers, p. 175.
- 1998 "Understanding the Goodman-Hout approach to the analysis of differences in association and some related comments" (with Michael Hout). Rejoinder to comments on "Statistical methods and graphical displays for analyzing how the association between two qualitative variables differs ..." by Leo A. Goodman and Michael Hout, Sociological Methodology, Vol. 28 (1998), edited by Adrian E. Raftery, Cambridge, Massashusetts: Blackwell Publishers, p. 249.
- 1997 "The association between husband's and wife's occupations in Norwegian two-earner families: Birds of a feather flock together" (with G.E. Birkelund), Society, University, and World Community, Essays for Ørjar Øyen, edited by Sigmund Grønmo and Bjørn Henrichsen, Oslo, Norway: Scandinavian University Press, 1997, p. 136.
- 1997 "Statistical methods, graphical displays, and Tukey's ladder of re-expression in the analysis of nonindependence in contingency tables: Correspondence analysis, association analysis, and the midway view of nonindependence," The Practice of Data Analysis: Essays in Honor of John W. Tukey, edited by David R. Brillinger, Luisa T. Fernholz, and Stephan Morgenthaler, Princeton, New Jersey: Princeton University Press, 1997, p. 101.
- 1996 "A single general method for the analysis of cross-classified data: Reconciliation and synthesis of some methods of Pearson, Yule, and Fisher, and also some methods of correspondence analysis and association analysis," Journal of the American Statistical Association, Vol. 91 (1996), p. 408.
- 1996 "The latent structure of job characteristics of men and women" (with G.E. Birkelund and D. Rose), American Journal of Sociology, Vol. 102 (1996), p. 80.
- 1994 "On quasi-independence and quasi-dependence in contingency tables, with special reference to ordinal triangular contingency tables," Journal of the American Statistical Association, Vol. 89 (1994), p. 1059.
- 1993 “Correspondence analysis, association analysis, and generalized nonindependence analysis of contingency tables: Saturated and unsaturated models, and appropriate graphical displays," Multivariate Analysis: Future Directions 2, edited by C.M. Cuadras and C.R. Rao, Amsterdam, The Netherlands: Elsevier, 1993, p. 265.
- 1991 "New methods for the analysis of occupational mobility tables and other kinds of crossclassifications" (with Clifford C. Clogg), Symposium on the American Occupational Structure: Reflections After Twenty-Five Years, Contemporary Sociology, Vol. 21 (1992), p. 609.
- 1991 "Measures, models, and graphical displays in the analysis of cross-classified data" (with Discussion), Journal of the American Statistical Association, Vol. 86 (1991), p. 1085.
- 1991 "New methods in the age of progress in contingency table analysis using measures, models, and graphical displays." Reply to Discussion of "Measures, models, and graphical displays in the analysis of cross-classified data" by Leo A. Goodman, Journal of the American Statistical Association, Vol. 86 (1991), p. 1124.
Last update: 8/24/17